Established over 40 years ago, the Sharon Mens Softball League is an independent, self-sufficient league. We are a recreational softball league for adults over 30 years old. We cater to those who are looking to play ball, compete, and have fun. Our league runs from April through September. We play all our games at either the High School softball field or Ames Street Fields. Over the years, there have been thousands of town residents that participated. There are many who remember going to the games at Deborah Sampson to see their fathers, husbands, and friends play. Many of these same kids are now playing in our league and some have even had the good fortune to play with their fathers. Our league is comprised of over 150 players, and it is governed by a dedicated group of volunteers.
Dave Sweeney, Commissioner
Bob Lee, Assistant Commissioner
Jack Armstrong, Treasurer
Steve Francer Secretary
Save the date, the First Annual League All star game has been scheduled to take place on Father's day.
(See new playoff format Item number 16 below)
2015 SHARON MEN'S SOFTBALL LEAGUE MEETING #1 - JANUARY 29, 2015
1) MEETING STARTED BY COMMISSIONER SWEENEY WITH DISCUSSION OF FINDING A NEW LOCATION FOR FUTURE MEETINGS. BBC HAS NOT BEEN AS ACCOMMODATING AS IN THE PAST.
2) FUTURE MEETINGS TO BE ATTENDED BY ONLY ONE REP. FROM EACH TEAM PLUS BOARD MEMBERS.
3) ALL TEAMS FROM 2014 WERE REPRESENTED AND WILL PARTICIPATE IN 2015.
4) IT WAS DETERMINED THAT MEMBERS OF OLD AND IN THE WAY'S 2014 ROSTER WILL BE GRANDFATHERED AND THEY ARE NOW ALLOWED TO ADD UP TO FIVE OUT OF TOWNERS.
5) ALL ROSTERS MUST BE SUBMITTED BY APRIL 27TH.
6) JACK ARMSTRONG REVIEWED THE BUDGET. WE ARE BASICALLY ON TARGET WITH A MINOR SHORTFALL IN 2014. A VOTE WAS TAKEN AND LEAGUE FEES WILL REMAIN UNCHANGED.
7) LEAGUE FEES OF $900.00 WILL BE DUE BY MAY 1ST.
8) A VOTE WAS TAKEN AND LEAGUE OFFICERS WILL REMAIN THE SAME.
9) A VOTE WAS TAKEN AND THE REGULAR SEASON WILL CONTINUE TO CONSIST OF 21 GAMES.
10) ASSISTANT COMMISSIONER BOB LEE WILL CREATE THE SCHEDULE. HE IS ALLOWING EACH TEAM (IF THEY WOULD LIKE) TO REQUEST ONE MONDAY OR TUESDAY DATE THEY WOULD PREFER NOT TO PLAY. ADDITIONALLY, A REQUEST CAN BE SUBMITTED FOR AN EARLY OR LATE START ON ONE SUNDAY. IF A TEAM HAS MULTIPLE DATES THEY WOULD LIKE TO PLACE A REQUEST FOR, THEY CAN LIST IN ORDER OF PREFERENCE. THERE IS NO GUARANTEE ALL REQUESTS CAN BE ACCOMMODATED.
11) OPENING DAY WILL BE SCHEDULED FOR MAY 3RD.
12) THERE WILL BE NO JULY 4TH BREAK EXCEPT NO GAMES SCHEDULED FOR SUNDAY JULY 5TH.
13) WE WILL ATTEMPT TO HAVE AN ALL STAR GAME. A PROPOSAL WILL BE MADE BY BOB LEE, KEVIN DALEY, AND STEVE SAVRANN.
14) A PROPOSAL FOR A PRESEASON BENEFIT TOURNAMENT WAS TABLED.
15) A PROPOSAL TO NOT ALLOW A SUBSTITUTE RUNNER TO BE USED ON BACK TO BACK OCCASIONS WAS TURNED DOWN.
16) PLAYOFF FORMAT WAS DECIDED TO BE A FIRST THROUGH EIGHTH PLACE STRUCTURE WITH TEAM ONE PLAYING TEAM EIGHT - TEAM TWO PLAYING TEAM SEVEN, ETC. THE WINNER OF ONE VS. EIGHT PLAYS THE WINNER OF FOUR VS. FIVE. THE WINNER OF TWO VS. SEVEN PLAYS THE WINNER OF THREE VS. SIX. THE WINNERS OF THESE TWO SERIES PLAY FOR THE LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP.
IN AN EFFORT TO EXTEND PLAYING TIME FOR THE LOSERS IN ROUND ONE AND GIVE EACH TEAM A MINIMUM OF TWO SERIES, THESE TEAMS WILL PLAY EACH OTHER IN THE SAME FASHION IN WHAT WILL BE CALLED THE DIVISION TWO CHAMPIONSHIP.